Candy Colored

Friday, October 10, 2014

light pink trench cape coat, orange tee, white skirt, yellow bow pumps
Another one of my outerwear purchases from over the summer is the Stella McCartney trench cape coat (no longer available). I've loved it ever since spotting Anh and Wendy's camel versions from years past.

I'm wearing size IT 40, but really should've gone down to a 38 so it's more "fitted" like on the model (an oxymoron since it is a loose-fitting style.) From certain angles, it does look like there are too much fabric, and I certainly sometimes felt that way as well depending on how I "drape" the fabric. I keep changing my mind about taking the cape to the tailors because I just don't know if it's worth it. Ideally, I'd like the sleeves to be shortened to bracelet length and maybe slim the sides a bit to get rid of excess fabric. I also wonder if the cape needs to be shortened by 1-2". Any thoughts? Am I just over-thinking this?
15487713501_light pink trench cape coat, orange tee, white skirt, orange clutch
This was my first experience with the Stella McCartney brand and I'm underwhelmed. I should've stopped lumping amazing quality, $$$, and a "brand name" together long ago... I suppose the markup is still a hard pill to swallow. I was surprised to find the cape to be unlined on the inside and with loose threading in multiple places. The more I wear the cape, the more I find myself starting to come around to the lack of lining because of how easily the fabric moves and drapes. I suppose it would be unsightly to see lining peeking through? Then again, the pockets are visible in the first photo above.

Capes are very trendy this upcoming cold-weather season, but I think they're something only girls would like. DH hasn't seen me wear my cape yet, but I can already picture his WTF-face and liken me to wearing a garbage bag due to its bagginess. Girls on the other hand, I feel like can appreciate capes more. One of my female coworkers complimented me on my cape the first time I wore it to work. I then started effusing about how it's like I'm all wrapped up in a cozy blanket. Can you tell we've commiserated over the cold office one too many times.

I stumbled across a great "look for less" option in Rebecca Minkoff's Pierre cape coat. This cape is the closest I've seen as a dupe for Stella's (believe me, I've done my share of window shopping trying to hunt one down.) There are a few noticeable differences: RM's lack the shoulder epaulettes, has more buttons, and looks to have "real" sleeves which might make for a sleeker silhouette by cutting down on excess fabric. This cape retails for $498 and comes in two colors:
1) blush [photo left below] - available at Shopbop
2) noble green [photo right below] - available at Nordstrom, NM, Cusp, RM
Rebecca Minkoff Pierre Cape Coat
left image via Shopbop / right image via Nordstrom

When I was in London earlier this year, I inquired about trench cape re-releases because the camel and pink versions were from two different seasons. The SA at the Stella boutique said she doesn't know about this particular cape style, but capes in general are usually available every winter season. I don't know if the waiting game is worth it since RM's is such a great dupe. If I hadn't already gotten my hands on Stella's, I would snatch up RM's in a heartbeat. Patience is not always my strongest virtue.
light pink trench cape coat, orange tee, white skirt, yellow bow pumps
sunglasses: Walmart aviator (similar)
lips: MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Natural in N9 (sold here)
coat: Stella McCartney trench cape (great dupe)
top: J.Crew Factory long-sleeve jersey tee (similar - on sale; similar)
ring: Elizabeth and James Windrose (sold at Zappos / Revolve Clothing / Shopbop; similar)
skirt: J.Crew Factory double serge mini (similar - 50% off)
clutch: J.Crew Claremont perforated (similar)
shoes: Zara silk satin high heel court shoe (similar; similar)

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. I'd worry that the alterations might ruin the drape! I think it looks great as is. But I'm also risk-averse. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh good point! I can see how the draping could be affected by changing the weight of the fabric. Thanks for the feedback, Emily!

      Delete
  2. LOL about the WTF-face!!
    That sucks that the price tag does not correlate strongly with the quality. It looks gorgeous paired with the orange/coral, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I just have to remind myself to keep expectations low prior to purchasing an expensive item. Gotta pay a markup for the brand and "original" design.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful look! I love those colors mixed together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Just trying something different because I wear neutrals so often :)

      Delete
  4. Do you really love this cape? Reading your post makes me think that you're not really all that satisfied with your purchase, especially given the hefty price tag. You mentioned fit issues and lack of quality. I would be inclined to sell it, rather than tailor it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my initial reaction was much more negative than it is now. I expected too much -- or maybe I've just come to terms with the "issues" now. Loose threading is disappointing and annoying, but I just went ahead and snipped off the problematic areas, so I don't think I'll have to deal with this again. As for fit, my mind alternates between mehh and loving it. From some angles I feel the cape overwhelms my frame, but in others, I really like the way it drapes. That's partially why I can't make up my mind if alterations are worth it -- what if the tailors fix the bulkiness but then from some angles the cape looks too tight/short?

      I'm usually pretty level-headed, but I feel an irrational need to keep the cape... and I think this stems from the fact that I've been searching for the cape for so long. I suppose a part of me is seeking justification from others in the form of "no this cape isn't too big on you!" to silence that nagging feeling about fit. Sigh. So I'm having a hard time entertaining the thought of selling it due to the emotional attachment.

      I think for now, I will keep the cape as is and wear it happily. Perhaps in the future I'll be able to seriously consider selling it if I really feel the cape is too big and can't get over the fit.

      Thank you for your comment, Lisa! Much appreciated :)

      Delete
    2. I'm very risk-averse so I would definitely not take it to a tailor. If I am honest, I'm not in love with the cape on you. I think it might be the sleeves that I am not crazy about. I think you can find better. But it looks like I'm in the minority here. And I totally get it when you say that you've been searching for a cape for so long so that you feel the need to keep it. I think what happens when we can't find exactly what we're looking for, we end up settling on something, which to me often ends up being a purchase I regret or don't absolutely love. If it makes you feel any better, I have been searching for *years* for the perfect flat or low heeled, tall boots. I still can't find them but I'm practical, critical, very thoughtful about each and every purchase I make (which I think you are too), and a minimalist, so I'm holding out until I find them.

      Delete
    3. You know, some might say the lack of comments can be perceived as a dissenting opinion, so your feelings may be in the majority after all ;) Either way, all opinions are welcome and valued, so definitely don't feel bad about being honest.

      I don't know if you're familiar with project management concepts like the 3 scopes (time, quality, cost)? The joke at my office is that our customers ask for the impossible on every project, when reality dictates they pick 2 and compromise on the third. That's what I thought of when I read your practical/critical/thoughtful criteria regarding each purchase. I think I usually hit 2 of the 3, but really should strive for 3-3 more often. I can't say there are anything on my wishlist that have been there for years, so I'm certainly not at your level. I do want to wish you the best of luck with your flats and boots hunt, and would love to hear updates if you ever come across your holy grails!

      Delete
    4. I am not familiar with project management concepts, although my boyfriend tells me I'd be good at project management. (I actually think I'd drive everyone crazy.) I think the reason I'm practical/critical/thoughtful to such a degree is because I'm older and with age, I've found your traits just get stronger and stronger. Plus, I'm very frugal (which is also getting worse with age!). I really hate buying stuff I don't love. So I seem to over-analyze every purchase I make.

      And thanks for your well wishes on the boots. Funny enough, just today we received a mailing from Stuart Weitzman for "custom-made" boots. It's one of the few brands I can wear for boots because most boots are too big around my ankles/calves. So maybe I could get those "perfect" boots after all.....although I have a feeling that my frugal side may fall over at the price.

      Delete
    5. Speaking as a minion, as long as you're not a micro-managing PM, I think you'll be liked :)

      Whoa, I hadn't heard about SW's custom boots. A quick google led me to custom boots at NM and BG sites, but it doesn't look like there are options besides choosing between 2 styles, 2 heights, and color/material? I figured more parts of the boots would be customizable, like exact shaft and circumference measurements to fit each person perfectly. Though if that was the case, I'd be really hesitant to place an order because the boots won't be returnable. So maybe having limited choices isn't a bad thing because at least you'll be able to try on existing styles for size and just picking the right combo for you. Hmm... definitely an interesting concept!

      Delete
    6. Yeah, you are so right! There's no way I could buy something that isn't returnable. And after reading your comment, I had to check out the advertisement I received yesterday for further clarification. I actually found the mailing I received on the internet. So here it is....
      http://www.stuartweitzman.com/trunkshow/

      Delete
    7. Just read on NM's site that the boots can't be returned. Yikes!

      Delete
  5. For what it is worth, I think the cape is lovely, but too large for your frame. Maybe you can have Wendy model it for her tailor to cut down for you? Apparently he does beautiful work. Nancy in Quebec City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Nancy! I'm bigger than Wendy, so I'd think it'd be a pretty risky alteration if I'm not there in person for measurements. Hopefully I'll make it out to LA in the future and can consider that route.

      Delete
  6. Cee, want to let you know that the Pierre Cape you mentioned is on sale for $335 now. http://www.rebeccaminkoff.com/pierre-cape
    I had to get one to try. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. Constructive criticisms welcome!

30 for 30 abercrombie abercrombie & fitch accessories adidas adrienne vittadini agnes b alejandro ingelmo alexandre birman ali ro alternative apparel american eagle amrita singh ann taylor anthropologie apple aqua armani exchange articles of society asos award bag balenciaga banana republic barbour bath and body works bcbg bcbgirls beauty bebe bensoni biltmore for madewell blank nyc blog every day bloggers do it better bois du boulogne bp. brian nagourney burberry by malene birger c. wonder c/meo collective canada goose cara accessories carlos by carlos santana carolina bucci cartonnier caslon casual cb2 celebrities celine chanel chantecaille chelsea28 chicwish china glaze chloe christian louboutin citrus clothing clu too club monaco coach coffee shop cole haan collection collection 18 color brigade columbia crate & barrel crewcuts cuyana cynthia rowley david yurman dc deborah lippmann decor delman disney couture diy dogeared dressy dsquared2 ebay elizabeth and james elleme equipment esprit etsy everlane express featured fendi forever 21 frank & eileen free people gap gara danielle gibson giles & brother giveaway gorjana goyard grace gift gucci h&m halogen halogen x atlantic-pacific halston heritage haul hearth & hand heirloom finds hollister how to hue hunter ikea ilnp in real life inspired by iris & ink isabel marant ivanka trump j.crew jennifer chamandi jenny yuen jewelry jimmy choo john hardy jones new york joules julie vos kate spade kristin coffin l'oreal lanvin lanvin x h&m lesportsac levi's loeffler randall loft longchamp look for less looks like summer lord & taylor lou & grey love 21 lucy m.gemi mac macy's madewell maje make make up for ever manolo blahnik marc jacobs mary katrantzou massimo dutti maybelline mercedes-benz merona michael michael kors misc miu miu mlb modcloth mossimo moulinette soeurs msgm mvmt nadri new balance new balance for j.crew nike nina ricci nine west nordstrom north face nyc nyc new york color nyx old navy olivia burton opi oscar de la renta pfc pierrepont hicks piperlime plastic island pleione polene polo prabal gurung at j.crew proenza schouler ralph lauren ramblings raphaella booz reader mail rebecca minkoff red valentino reed wilson design review revlon river island robert rodriguez ross-simons rsvp saint james saint laurent sales sally hansen sam edelman schutz shashi shinhwa shoes shopbop shopping shopstyle simply vera vera wang sinful colors professional soia & kyo sole society sony sorel sorel for j.crew sperry sponsor spotted moth stella mccartney stephanie b strathberry stuart weitzman style file superdry t3 tadashi shoji tagged talbots target the container store the horse the limited theory tips & tricks too faced topshop tory burch tous colors toys travels ugg uniqlo uniqueen unknown valentino veque for j.crew vera bradley via spiga victoria's secret vince vince camuto vineyard vines walmart ways to wear west elm white house black market wishlist work xhilaration xoxo yearly summary ysl zac posen for target zara zella