Thursday, December 6, 2012

With Cherry Red on Top

When layering in cold weather, I pick items by paying close attention to their fabric content and thickness. The innermost layer is generally the thinnest, and increases with each layer added. For today's outfit, I chose a "tissue" turtleneck as the base layer for its practicality (keeps the neck warm). I then added an oxford shirt, which is slightly thicker and goes with the color palette I had in mind. I finished with a blazer that's partially made of wool. Three layers sound like a lot, but each is thin enough so I didn't walk around feeling like the Hulk.
necklace: gift from aunt (similar)
turtleneck: J.Crew Factory tissue turtleneck tee (sold here)
shirt: American Eagle oxford (similar)
blazer: theory Bindi Tailored (similar)
belt: J.Crew (similar)
rings: Forever 21 braid & chain stack ring set (similar)
jeans: LOFT modern skinny (this season's sold here)
bag: H&M (similar)
shoes: Jones New York Harlem (similar)

14 comments:

  1. I think the last time I layered a turtleneck (as opposed to a thicker turtleneck sweater) was in elementary school, but it totally looks so chic on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, if you had asked me the same thing before last year, I would've said the same thing! I'm so glad I gave turtlenecks a second chance, and highly recommend that you do too!

      Delete
  2. you look so cool with the layered turtleneck! classic!

    xox P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pumps are the perfect match for this outfit. I sometimes envy the parts of the country where layering is the only option. It makes an outfit so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you have layered this look!

    www.petitestyleonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that bag at H&M and am still kicking myself for not getting it.

    I love your layering - you look sleek and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the layering and this look is very polished! I am a new petite fashion blogger, http://weekdays2weekendsinstyle.blogspot.com. Nice to meet you here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love the way you layer :) I think the red as the base layer was a great idea; it's a nice vibrant color which, along with the leopard pumps, elevates the interest of this outfit. It walks the line between old fashion prep and current trends.

    (Apparently, when you have a blazer with more than one button, the bottom button is left unbuttoned)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh... I did not know that bit about blazer buttons! I'll have to remember that next time. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  8. you are a queen at layering! i love the oxford shirt peaking out. i may have to give this look a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting layering. Love it! I cannot stand bare foot with pumps anymore in this weather so I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I find that keeping my upper body covered up is essential, everything else (ie: extremities) I can do what I please. Of course, I'm no doctor.

      Delete
  10. I'm going to start layering my turtlenecks just like this! Got myself a tissue turtleneck coming in the mail as we speak. So excited!

    Happy Holidays, Cee! Hopefully we'll see some Christmas party outfits on the blog soon? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Glad to know I'll have more turtleneck sources to draw inspiration from :)

      Unfortunately I don't have any plans to attend holiday parties this year, so it's highly unlikely I'll be featuring any on the blog. But I can't wait to see everyone else's party outfits (yours included?)!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Constructive criticisms welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...